Social Icons

Thursday, December 17, 2015

| shopping (local) in san francisco |

(source)

I went on a run through Golden Gate Park the other morning and I ended up walking home with multiple bags of under-the-tree goodies for friends and family. 'Tis the season.

While playing Santa might feel like the best game of all, graduate school means I'm on a tight budget. Like really tight. This means I have to be extra smart about my spending. If you know me, you know this is no easy feat. To me, being smart about spending means making a list (and checking it twice), drawing names for the larger gifting gang get-togethers, buying fewer, better things and being thoughtful about why I buy and where I swipe. At the end of the month, I feel a whole lot better about paying off my credit card when I see names of local, small businesses on my statement versus charges from a Target or Amazon. Here are a few my favorite, down-the-street-from-my-apartment Inner Richmond shops that I highly suggest you visit:

Park Life -- This store is full of cool shit. The independent store sells design-centric goods from all over the world including books, t-shirts, paper goods, and jewlery. Their collection of greetings cards from artists with a sense of humor are my favorite. Just this year, San Francisco Magazine named Park Life the best gift store in SF. I voted for them.
(source)
    Seedstore -- A gem of all gems, this store is home to ridiculously good smelling candles, vintage jewelry, delicate stacking rings and chunky necklaces, the coziest of all cozy sweaters, sweet silk dresses, wool socks ideal for stockings, nail polish from London, artwork and posters from artists across the country, ceramic housewares, designer denim, buttery leather jackets, and so much more. They even have shoes and sweatshirts for sale. A one-stop-shop at its finest.
    (source)
    Green Apple Books -- I am so sure I've written before about this book-lovers haven multiple times in the past. With its creaky, hardwood floors and massive collections of new and used books, magazines, records, and cards, this indie bookstore is a Clement-street original and San Francisco treasure. You'll walk out inspired to read a book a day for the next month just so you can return weeks later for more novel finds. 

    Foggy Notion -- Hidden on 6th Street around the corner from Clement sits Foggy Notion. The tiny storefront sells handmade leather goods and perfect-for-gifting home goods. The organic and evenrionemntally-conscious products including essential oils and shower soaps smell like vacation in the woods. Also, their easy-to-take-care-of tiny plants are apartment-friendly and some of my favorite buys to date. 
    (source)

    No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!