Social Icons

Friday, November 14, 2014

| fill er up |

I have an never-ending mission of filling my heart. I don't like when it feels empty, and so, quite frankly, I don't let that happen very often. What's life without a happy heart?


(source)
It's no easy feat to fill up your heart. My go to? Volunteering. Or an extra-foam latte and a manicure. But mostly volunteering. 

Another way I fill my heart? I jot down the beautiful shit that makes me happy, the things that I'm in love with right now. Pen and paper, people. I think you should try it, too. 'Tis the season of gratitude. And, according to Huffington Post, journaling is one of the seven habits that could help you cultivate gratitude on a daily basis. And, gratitude makes you healthy (says Real Simple). Here are my guidelines for making a proper list of the things that make you go 'aw' (developed by yours truly):

  • Don't make this list a laundry list of things you wish made you happy, but instead fill your list with things that really do make your heart smile. 
    • This might include (but is not limited to): clean sheets on your bed, flowers on Sunday from the farmer's market, matching socks, a magazine in the mail, leaving the office at 5, or a new podcast (hello, Serial. What was life like before you?).
  • This list doesn't have to be long. It can have one item. But at least write that one item down. If anything else, it's fun to revisit. I also think it helps you sleep better at night because falling asleep grateful for something is better than falling asleep counting down the days until Friday. Amiright?
  • If you have the power to make someone happy, and be on their list, do it. The world needs more of that.
(source)



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!